The Bahrain Center for Human Rights Internship Positions Available
The Bahrain Center for Human Rights (BCHR) currently seeks creative, passionate and hard-working applicants to occupy 2 internship postions on Communication, Research and Campaigning at our International office in Copenhagen.
The BCHR has been working to protect and promote human rights in Bahrain for more than eleven years – we are one of the oldest and most prominent human rights organization in the country. The bulk of our work is conducted by our documentation team in Bahrain, and the Copenhagen office is primarily focused on communicating human rights violations and supporting the senior advocacy staff. Over the last three years, the BCHR has won six prestigious awards for our work in human rights, and we are active around the globe in our pursuit of accountability for human rights violators in Bahrain.
Internship period: 3 months, full-time (preferred) or part-time. Office hours will be held from 09:00am to 5:00pm, Monday through Friday. This is an unpaid position.
- Assist with advocacy campaigns by conducting research and preparing background memos and other written materials;
- Assist in managing database of contacts and improving our communications with our targeted audience of policy makers;
- Support lengthy analytical reports on human rights abuses in Bahrain in cooperation with our documentation team, through research and writing;
- Track Bahrain news, legislation, and statements by global policymakers, the European Parliament, and United Nations officials on a daily basis;
- Assist in social media campaigns and the drafting of external communications;
- Write and publish content on our website and on social media platforms;
- Prepare updates for the website and other media-related materials;
- Assist with administrative duties as required.
The ideal candidate should:
- Be a graduate/undergraduate student - a relevant degree in human rights law is a plus
- Have an interest in and being knowledgeable of human rights issues, particularly with respect to freedom of speech, expression, and association, due process rights and prisoners’ rights;
- Have excellent verbal and written communication skills in English;
- Good ability to attract and build new contacts with the media and other partners;
- Be able to work independently, take initiative, and exercise sound judgment;
- Maintain strict confidentiality and
- Be committed to BCHR’s mission.
Highly desirable additional skills:
- Arabic and French/German language skills;
- Knowledgeable and innovative about using social media in a professional capacity (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc.);
- Photoshop, video editing and/or other graphic design experience;
- Familiarity with the Adobe suite, HTML formatting and HTML design;
- Demonstrated research experience (especially related to the Middle East, human rights, democratization, governance, and political rights) and
- Innovative and passionate about building and executing grassroots outreach/advocacy campaigns, as well as using novel technology tools for advocacy.
To apply, send cover letter and CV to Elena Mocanu at: email@example.com