Administration Urged to Condemn Attacks on Protesters in Bahrain
Human Rights First today called on the Trump Administration to condemn the actions of Bahraini security forces who reportedly attacked peaceful protesters in the village of Duraz. Local reports indicate that at least one man has been killed and many other injured.
"The security force raid is deeply disturbing, and we urge the Bahraini security forces not to attack peaceful protestors,” said Human Rights First’s Brian Dooley. "It is especially alarming that the raid comes just two days after President Trump met the king of Bahrain and assured him that there would no longer be any strain on the U.S.-Bahrain relationship. President Trump should immediately speak out against these attacks and make clear that repression of peaceful civil society will damage the bilateral relationship with Bahrain."
Continue reading here.
Five Killed, Hundreds Hurt After Protesters Clash With Bahraini Police
Bahraini forces clashed with Shiite Muslim protesters, killing five people and wounding hundreds of others in a flare-up of a long-running confrontation between the Sunni monarchy and majority Shiite population, activists and Amnesty International said.
Find article here.
BAHRAIN RAID ON SHIITE CLERIC'S TOWN: 5 KILLED, 286 ARRESTED
Bahraini police raid on the hometown of a prominent Shiite cleric facing possible deportation has left at least five demonstrators dead and 286 people arrested in an assault in which officers fired tear gas and shotguns at protesters.
The Interior Ministry said the operation on Tuesday targeting Diraz, home to Sheikh Isa Qassim and a long-running sit-in supporting him, was to "maintain security and public order." It called the area a "haven for wanted fugitives from justice."
Activists shared photographs and videos showing youths throwing stones and climbing on an armored personnel carrier. Gunfire could be heard in one video as white smoke from tear gas hung in the air. Another video showed a bulldozer smashing through the area that once hosted the sit-in.
Continue reading here.
Death toll rises from Bahrain police protest shootings
Five people have been killed when police opened fire on protesters in Bahrain on Tuesday, as supporters of a jailed Shia cleric clash with security forces.
Police opened fire on a sit in in Diraz, close to the capital Manama, where a sit-in outside the home of cleric Isa Qassim was held.
"Five deaths have been registered among the outlaws" the interior ministry reported in a Twitter message.
Witnesses had earlier told AFP that several civilians were wounded when police officers fired at demonstrators throwing stones and Molotov cocktails at security forces.
Read more here.
Deadly attacks in Duraz following the sentencing of Sheikh Isa Qasim
Update 28 May: the five dissidents killed following the attacks of Bahraini police forces in the village of Duraz were buried without the consent or the participation of the victims' families.
Update 27 May: based on reports from the ground, prisoners held at Jau are facing baseless reprisals, being stripped of their clothes and subjected to beatings. Additionally, Ebtisam AlSayegh, a woman human rights defender, was interrogated for seven hours without her lawyer present, and reportedly collapsed following the long interrogation hours. She was admitted to hospital.
Update 25 May: according to sources on the ground, police forces have not left Duraz since the start of the attacks on 23 May. House raids continue while the house of Sheikh Isa Qasim is surrounded by police officers; based on his family's statement, the residents of his house are not even allowed access to water.
Entry in Duraz is denied and internet shutdowns occur most of the time. A video recorded just few hours ago today and communicated to BCHR is showing members of the Bahraini police patroling in Duraz.
Based on information from the ground, there are many instances of people who have disappeared and in which their families do not know their whereabouts. In one case, where the wife tried to contact the husband by calling him on his mobile phone, another person replied, saying that they had found mobile phones thrown on the streets.
Families of those killed during the attack were taken to Budaiya police station; one member of each family was called in, their mobile phones removed, to recognize the victims. It is believed that the authorities will not allow funeral processions to take place. 4 of the 5 victims' names who died due to injuries inflicted by the police forces were revealed yesterday 24 May by the Bahraini national television (the 5th victim's name was reported unknown):
2.Mohamed Khadum -deadly injuried caused by shotgun bird pellets
3.Ahmed Jameel Alasfoor
4.Mohamed Hasan Hamdan
Alasfoor (the man in the orange t-shirt below) was reportedly seen trying to help a fallen protester before we has arrested. Witnesses reported he was fine before he was taken, and it appears he was killed after the arrest. It is not known why and how he was killed.
Two days after President Trump said US relation with Bahrain was set to improve, the government in Bahrain is escalating violations against its Shia population throughout the besieged village of Duraz. Early this morning national security forces, including Special forces, entered Duraz and opened fire on peaceful sit-in in support of Sheikh Issa Qassim. One protester has been killed and more than 100 injured, mostly with bird shot pellets. At least 50 protesters have been arrested following the raid of Sheikh Qasim’s house. The Bahrain Center for Human Rights (BCHR) was able to obtain information from the ground via internet communication platforms in the morning of the attacks; few hours later, the internet was shutdown in Duraz.
“If the violations continue, denied by the Bahraini government and ignored by the international community, another cycle of violence and crackdown will undoubtedly take place in a region with hundreds of new victims, embittered by the repeated denial of their rights as human beings and Bahrainis” said Sheikh DR Maytham Al Salman, BCHR Senior Advisor, “Bahrain’s overwhelming use of military force against its own civilian population and peaceful protesters is nothing but collective punishment”.
Based on a video recorded with mobile phones by residents in Duraz and shared with BCHR, army vehicles have been spotted entering Duraz. Residents partaking into a month-long open sit-in were attacked by government forces with tear gas and shotgun pellets.
“These violations are being committed with total impunity, they are generating a perception in Duraz that simply being from Duraz and from Shia background is enough to be targeted” said BCHR.
The US and the British government, which are allies of Bahrain and have the greatest leverage, have minimized and actively ignored UN concerns and reporting on the situation. Since June 2016, the Special Adviser on the Prevention of Genocide, Adama Dieng expressed concern at the decision taken by the Interior Ministry of Bahrain to revoke the citizenship of Sheikh Isa Qasim and on the impact this decision can have in increasing tensions among the different constituencies in the country, but his call has been disregarded by the international community.
BCHR call on the Bahraini Government and its allies, to fully support unhindered and immediate access to the region for independent organizations, media, and human rights groups, and to lift restrictions on freedom of movement imposed on the population of Duraz.
BCHR believes that the government should immediately issue clear public orders to the security forces and all other security agencies deployed in Duraz to withdraw and cease abuses of civilians, including the massive arrests, raids and use of disproportionate force against civilians. The Bahraini authorities should also immediately establish an independent commission of inquiry to investigate the allegations of abuses in Duraz.
These unwarranted attacks against residents peacefully gathering in front of the house of the Shia Ayatollah Sheikh Isa Qasim follow his Sunday’s trial outcome, when he was sentenced to one year in prison with suspended sentence and to pay fine of 100 thousand dinars. The Ministry of Interior issued a statement earlier on twitter, claiming the attacks were meant to “preserve law and order” and later tweeted that the police had arrested a number people in Duraz wanted by the government and hiding in the village of Duraz.
The village of Duraz has been under siege for almost a year now, following the revocation of citizenship of the highest Shia cleric in Bahrain, Sheikh Isa Qasim, in June 2016.
Residents in his village have staged open-ended sit-ins in front of his house since he was stripped of his nationality, launching a year-long series of restrictions of free movement for the app. 20.000 people living there. Moreover, internet shutdowns have become the norm from 7pm til 1am, which impacted negatively the village’s businesses. Arrests and summons for interrogation have been used against participants in the sit-ins since the start of the siege, with sentences being issued against Shia clerics and other people partaking in peaceful gathering in Duraz.
Bahrain Security Forces Raid Home of Shi'ite Spiritual Leader
DUBAI — Bahraini security forces on Tuesday raided the home of the kingdom's top Shi'ite Muslim spiritual leader and arrested a number of people, activists and a security official said.
Continue reading here
Activists say man killed in security raid on Bahrain Shi'ite village
Activists said security forces killed a protester during a raid on the home village of Bahrain's Shi'ite Muslim spiritual leader on Tuesday.
Bahraini authorities said they made several arrests but did not comment on the reported death in Diraz, where supporters of Ayatollah Isa Qassim from the island kingdom's minority Shi'ite community have set up a protest camp.
Continue reading here
BAHRAIN POLICE RAID SHIITE CLERIC'S TOWN; 1 KILLED, 50 HELD
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) -- Bahrain police firing tear gas and shotguns entered a town on Tuesday morning where a monthslong sit-in has supported a prominent Shiite cleric who had his citizenship stripped by the government. At least one protester was killed and others were wounded, activists said, and authorities arrested 50 people.
Continue reading here
Dear Nabeel: We are with you
As Nabeel Rajab approaches a year in detention for exercising free speech, Index on Censorship expresses its solidarity with the 2012 Freedom of Expression Award winner.
Read the letter here
Bahrain's top Shi'ite cleric gets one year suspended jail sentence
A court in Bahrain on Sunday convicted the spiritual leader of the country's Shi'ite Muslims of collecting funds illegally and money laundering and sentenced him to one year in jail suspended for three years, local media reported.
The court also ordered Ayatollah Isa Qassim, who is in his mid-70s, to pay 100,000 Bahraini dinar ($265,266) in fines over the charges, which emanate from the collection of an Islamic tax called Khums, which in Shi'ite Islam is collected and spent by a senior cleric in the interests of the needy.
Continue reading here.